- Delivery & Returns
- Size Chart
NOTE : Gelcoat and Catalyst can only be shipped to the UK.
A 75ml tin of ´Ice Blue´ Gelcoat Resin for Lasers with the sail number 211300 onwards. Boats prior to this were either 'Vella Grey' or ´Dawn Grey´ (more of a white grey). YOU WILL NEED A 2% MIX OF POLYESTER CATALYST TO ENABLE THE GELCOAT TO HARDEN (PURCHASED SEPARATELY) - SEE RELATED ITEMS.
Laser Sail Numbers v Colours
To Sail Number 166000 - Dawn Grey
167000 - Dawn Grey or Vela Grey
168000 - Vela Grey
211300 to present - Ice Blue (Note: The new ILCA builders will use a number of different gelcoat shades, please contact the specific builder for more details).
Please be aware Rooster do try to supply as close a possible matching our Gelcoats to the original OEM shade, but years of UV and sunlight will discolour the surface and may cause a slight mis-match to getting a perfect match. You may need to mix an additional pigment to get a perfect match for your boat.
Also, Performance Sailcraft the OEM builder would change suppliers of the Gelcoat product, but still name it either Dawn / Vela Grey / Ice Blue, but may not be the same exact shade.
This product should be used within 3 months of purchase.
The gelcoat has small amount (2%) of styrene wax additive added. The wax additive is used in order to cure the gelcoat, and creates an air barrier so the resin can cure to a tack-free state ready for wet sanding and finishing.
Gelcoat products are measured out to 75ml (by volume) and the gelcoat is supplied in oversize tins (approx. 150ml) for ease of use.
How to repair small damages?
1. The area of damage should be thoroughly cleaned. Loose particles should be scraped or sanded down. Minor damage or scratches need only to be cleaned with acetone.
2. Mask up using masking tape the area, and apply an appropriate amount of gelcoat in the original colour of the boat, should be mixed with 1-2.5% peroxide/hardner. Minimum temperature whilst filling, + 13C
3. Apply gelcoat with a flexible plastic tool and allow to cure for 4-8 hours (depending on temperature).
4. Rub down repaired areas tightly with 120 or 220 grit wet and dry paper, until all uneveness is removed. Finish by lightly sanding with 1000 grade wet sandpaper or a finer grade.
5. If necessary, apply further quantities of gelcoat several times before finishing off with 1000 grade wet sandpaper.
6. Avoid sanding outside of the damaged area (using masking tape again to protect the existing gelcoat) as one can easily rub through the coloured surface to expose the uncoloured laminate beneath and therefore increase the area of damage.
7. After sanding down, polish to a mirror finish using a fine rubbing compound such as G3 and then G10 and apply a good polish to complete.
Please see the Rooster Blog for an article on a simple repair. See:https://www.roostersailing.com/blogs/boat-maintenance-tips/small-boat-grp-repairs-working-with-gelcoat
We are currently unable to ship this item overseas.
Materials Safety Data Sheet
The Materials Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) for this product can be found at this Rooster Website page: Materials Safety Data Sheets – ROOSTER UK (roostersailing.com) (This is a complete library of all MSDS related to Rooster products).
Laser® is a registered trademark owned by Velum Limited and currently licensed for use in Europe to Laser Performance (Europe) Limited. Rooster Sailing Limited is fully independent of both Laser Performance (Europe) Limited and Velum Limited.